Our world is but a small part of the cosmos.
我们的世界仅仅是宇宙的一小部分而已。
He's still but a child.
他仅仅是个小孩子。
I want to say nothing but sorry.
我只想说对不起。
He can but admit that it was his fault.
他只得承认这是他的错误。
Nothing, but nothing would make him change his mind.
没有什么,绝对没有什么会使他改变主意。
but that's not possible!
但那是不可能的!
'u2018Here's the money I owe you. 'u2019 'u2018but that's not right'u2500it was only 'u00a310. 'u2019
“这是我欠你的钱。”“但这不对呀——我只借了10英镑给你。”
I had no choice but to sign the contract.
我别无选择,只好签了合同。
It isn't that he lied exactly, but he did tend to exaggerate.
他不见得是真的说谎,但他的确是有意夸大。
I'd asked everybody but only two people came.
每个人我都请了,却只来了两个人。
By the end of the day we were tired but happy.
一天结束时,我们很累,但很高兴。
I'm sorry but I can't stay any longer.
很抱歉,我不能再待下去了。
I got it wrong. It wasn't the red one but the blue one.
我弄错了。不是红的那个,是蓝的那个。
His mother won't be there, but his father might.
他母亲不会在那里,但他父亲也许会去。
The pistol was positioned where I couldn't help but see it...
手枪放在我抬眼就能看见的地方。
She could not but congratulate him.
她只能祝贺他。
...the small square below, empty but for a delivery van and a clump of palm trees...
下面的小广场空空荡荡,只有一辆送货车和几棵棕榈树
but for you, they might have given us the slip.
要不是你,我们可能已经被他们甩掉了。
My husband spends hours in the bathroom, but then again so do I.
我丈夫常占用浴室好几个小时,不过我也是这样。
He was a fine young man, but then so had his father been...
他年轻有为,不过他父亲也曾经是。
Sonia might not speak the English language well, but then who did?
索尼娅的英语也许说得不好,但谁又说得好呢?
He committed a crime, no ifs or buts about it.
他犯了罪,这是无可争辩的。
'B-b-b-b-but' I stuttered. 'u2014 'Never mind the buts,' she ranted...
“但——但——但是”,我结结巴巴地说道。——“别跟我讲那些‘但是’了。”她咆哮道。
...Napoleon and Marie Antoinette, to name but two who had stayed in the great state rooms.
只提两位在贵宾房住过的人,就是拿破仑和玛丽·安托瓦妮特。
He didn't speak anything but Greek...
他只会说希腊语。
This is but one of the methods used to try and get alcoholics to give up drink.
这只是为让那些酗酒者戒酒所尝试的方法之一。
I'm sorry, but it's nothing to do with you...
对不起,但是这跟你没关系。
'I don't think I should stay in this house' 'u2014 'but why?'...
“我觉得我不应该再呆在这所房子里。”——“可是为什么?”
'Somebody wants you on the telephone' 'u2014 'but no one knows I'm here!'
“有人打电话找你。”——“可没有人知道我在这里啊!”
Europe will be represented in all but two of the seven races...
除了两项赛事之外,欧洲在其余5项赛事中都有代表参加。
Please excuse me, but there is something I must say...
不好意思,但有些话我必须说。
'You said you'd stay till tomorrow.' 'u2014 'I know, Bel, but I think I would rather go back.'...
“你说过你要呆到明天的。”——“我知道,贝尔,但我还是想回去。”
Place the saucepan over moderate heat until the cider is very hot but not boiling...
把炖锅置于中火上加热,直到苹果酒变得很烫,但不要加热到沸腾。
They need to recruit more people into the prison service. but another point I'd like to make is that many prisons were built in the nineteenth century.
监狱需要招募更多的工作人员。但我想补充一点,很多监狱都是在19世纪建造的。
价格
A:The (price tag/ sign/ advertisement) says $99.99.
(价格标签/标签/广告)上说99元99分。
but的反义词
B:Yes,but there’s sales tax.
是的,可是还有销售税。
购物
B:You already have (that/ one of those/ one like that).
你已经有(那个了/一个这种款式了/一个像这样的了)。
but的翻译
A:I know,but another one can’t hurt.
我知道,但是再买一个也没什么。
打电话
A:Hello. Can I speak to Alice, please?
喂,请找爱丽思接电话好吗?
B:Hold on, please.
请稍等。
A:Thank you.
谢谢你。
B:Sorry,but she's out.
抱歉,她出去了。
A:Would you tell her Tom Gray called?
你能告诉她汤姆?格雷打过电话来吗?
B:I'd be glad to.
我会的。