The kid was named after his grandfather.
这孩子是以他祖父的名字命名的。
My grandfather used to smoke a pipe.
我祖父过去吸烟斗。
His grandfather was a professor.
他的爷爷曾是一名教授。
Get me confirmation on the first available flight.
替我确定最优先的班机.
grandfather is quite old and a bit hunchbacked.
祖父年纪大了,背有点驼.
His grandfather is a geographer.
他的祖父是一位地理学家.
My grandfather is in his anecdotage.
我的祖父已年老.
grandfather was an austere man, very strict with his children.
祖父是个严厉的人, 对子女要求非常严格.
The boy took the watch given by his grandfather to school for show.
男孩把他祖父给他的表拿到学校去炫耀.
Gerald's grandfather is a shoemaker.
杰拉尔德的祖父是一个鞋匠.
My grandfather died yesterday evening.
爷爷昨晚老了.
The grandfather had assembled all the members of the family for the annual picnic.
祖父把一家人聚在一起进行一年一度的野餐.
His grandfather was a fine raconteur.
他的祖父是位很好讲故事的人.
The father called the baby John after his grandfather.
父亲以祖父的名字约翰来给这个婴儿命名.
I cannot forgive myself for not seeing my grandfather before he died.
祖父临终前我未去看他,为此我永远不会原谅我自己.
The boy was named Tom after his grandfather.
这小孩按他祖父的名字被起名为汤姆.
His grandfather is a devout Buddhist.
他的爷爷是一个虔诚的佛教徒.
The boy is named for [ after ] his grandfather.
这男孩是以祖父的名字 起名 儿的.
We get grandfather up as Father Christmas.
我们把爷爷装扮成圣诞老人.
My grandfather mentioned me in his will.
我祖父在遗嘱里提到了我.
Her grandfather is an invalid.
她的祖父是一个残疾人.
grandfather spoke with a thick Scottish brogue.
祖父说话带有很重的苏格兰土腔.
His grandfather has been dead a long time.
他爷爷早就不在了.
My grandfather was very Victorian.
我的祖父非常传统。
I had a close relationship with my grandfather.
我和爷爷很亲。
Their grandfather had left his village in order to escape the grinding poverty.
为了摆脱贫困的煎熬,他们的祖父离开了村子。
Charles displays unreserved admiration for his grandfather.
查尔斯从不掩饰他对祖父的景仰。
His grandfather was a Muslim cleric.
他的祖父是一名穆斯林阿訇。
My grandfather was secretary of the Scottish Miners' Union.
我的祖父是苏格兰矿工工会干事。
grandfather set them up in a liquor business.
爷爷资助他们经营酒业。
Her maternal grandfather was Mayor of Karachi.
她的外公是卡拉奇市的市长。
My grandfather was a butcher.
我祖父是个屠夫。
There's been the grandfather of a mix-up somewhere.
出自:P. BarrySocial Security-(社会保险)
A:Man, they take a lot of our paycheck.
嘿,他们从我的薪水里扣了不少钱哦。
B:Yeah, the government really takes a bite, doesn’t it?
是呀,政府确实扣除不少。
A:Seriously. The only tax I don’t mind them taking is social security. It’s only a few dollars every paycheck.
当然。只有社会保险这种税我不介意上交。每回只要从薪水里面扣除几元钱。
grandfather
B:Yeah, I don’t mind it either. We’ll both end up rich slobs and not need it, but what if we do, you know?
是呀,我也不介意。我们最终肯定不会缺钱也不会需要它,但是如果我们有这个钱的话,你知道?
A:Yeah. It won’t be much, but at least we’ll have a monthly check when we get old.
是呀,虽然不多,但是最少老了以后每个月有一个固定收入。
B:Yeah. My grandmother gets by on social security and the money mygrandfather invested when he was alive.
是呀,我祖母就是靠社会保险金和祖父在世时的投资生活。
A:Let’s just hope the politicians don’t figure out a way to spend it.
让我们巴望政治家们不会想着法子把它用掉吧。
B:Really?No, they couldn’t. None of them would have jobs if they did.
真的吗?不,不会的。如果他们这样做了,他们的工作就不保了。
谈论家庭装修布局
A:You have a lovely house, Jack.
Jack,你的房子真不错!
B:Thank you. Yeah, it's home, but a number of things have been going wrong lately.
谢谢,是啊,这是一个家。但是最近有很多地方出了问题。
grandfather
A:That's too bad. What problems are you having?
那可太糟了,出什么问题了?
B:Oh, the whole house needs re-painting, for starters. The carpet in the living room is worn out, and I'd like to put in new wall-to-wall carpeting. Last week, I had to call the plumber to fix the toilet. Anyway, all par for the course when you own a house, I guess. I think I'm going to hire an interior decorator to look the place over.
哦,刚刚住进来,正间房子都需要从新粉刷,卧室里的地毯也已经很旧了,我想装一套新的。上星期,我不得不打电话找水管工来修理厕所。不管怎么说,如果你有一间房子,我觉得这都是最寻常不过的事。我看我要请一个室内工程师来看看这个地方。
A:I've studied Western home decoration as a hobby. Could I make some suggestions?
我曾学过室内装饰。我能给你提一些建议吗?
B:Go right ahead.
太棒了,请讲。
A:Well, I think a crystal chandelier would look great in your living room, and maybe some new drapes for the windows. Also, agrandfather clock would look great in the den. Perhaps you could buy some potted plants for the dining room.
啊,我觉得在卧室里装一盏水晶灯会很漂亮。另外呢,可能需要一些落地窗来装饰窗户。还有,休息室里放一盏落地灯会很漂亮的。你还可以买一些盆栽装饰饭厅。
grandfather的翻译
B:Wow! You really do have a talent for this, Ethabella. Thanks for your suggestions.
哇噻!你在这方面,可真是天才啊,Ethabella,谢谢你的建议。
A:You are welcome, Jack. Glad to be of help.
不客气,Jack。很高兴能帮上你。